Pope Leo on Sunday issued a strong appeal for a nationwide ceasefire in Sudan, urging warring factions to stop attacks and allow humanitarian organisations free access to civilians caught in the conflict. Speaking during his Angelus prayer in St. Peter’s Square, the pontiff said he was deeply troubled by alarming accounts emerging from Al-Fashir, the last major government-controlled city in Darfur, which was recently seized by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
“It is heartbreaking to hear of women and children being targeted, civilians being killed, and aid workers prevented from reaching those in desperate need,” he said, condemning what he described as “grave and intolerable violations of human dignity”.
Pope Leo appealed to global powers, donor nations and international agencies to intensify diplomatic pressure and mobilise resources immediately to protect Sudan’s civilians and prevent further loss of life. His comments come after the United Nations Human Rights Office reported that hundreds of unarmed people may have been killed late last month as the RSF tightened its control over Al-Fashir, following an 18-month siege that forced tens of thousands to flee.
Sudan’s war—now in its second year—has displaced millions, crippled the health system, and triggered one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises. Aid agencies warn that nearly half of Sudan’s population is facing severe food shortages, and many regions remain inaccessible due to ongoing fighting.
In his address, Pope Leo also expressed concern about recent political tension in Tanzania, where clashes have erupted in the aftermath of national elections. He encouraged all parties there to prioritise peace, engage in constructive dialogue, and avoid actions that could escalate instability in the region.
Sierra Leone Emerges As a Bright Spot In Global Rule Of Law Rankings
Source:Africa Publicity








