The Niger State Police Command has arrested a 40-year-old man, Jafar Mohammed, over the attempted sexual assault of three girls aged between six and seven in Kontagora.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, February 17, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said the suspect—also known as Danlami and a resident of Sabon-Gari, Kontagora—was apprehended by operatives of the Kontagora Area Command.
According to police, the incident occurred on February 11, 2026, at about 10:00 a.m. in the Dadin-Kowa area. Preliminary investigations revealed that the suspect allegedly lured the children to an uncompleted building by offering them candy. During the attempted assault, one of the girls raised an alarm, drawing the attention of nearby residents who intervened and ensured the suspect was restrained and handed over to the police.

The suspect has since been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) in Minna for further investigation. Police say he will be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.
The Niger State Police Command has reiterated its commitment to protecting children and urged parents, guardians, and community members to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious behaviour around minors.
Police Also Nab Suspect Over Motorcycle Theft in Suleja
In a separate development, the command also announced the arrest of a 27-year-old laundry worker, Faisal Ibrahim, in connection with the theft of a motorcycle in Suleja.
Police said a report was received from the Kwamba area on February 2, 2026, indicating that a Bajaj motorcycle had gone missing after the owner briefly left his locked room to buy food on the evening of February 1. Following investigations, Ibrahim was arrested on strong suspicion.
During interrogation, the suspect reportedly confessed to the crime and led officers to where the motorcycle had been hidden within the Kwamba area. He has since been charged to court for prosecution.
Police authorities say both arrests reflect ongoing efforts to tackle crime across Niger State and assure residents that public safety remains a top priority.
Source: Africa Publicity








