Relief has mixed with lingering fear for a family whose newborn was allegedly stolen from Mamprobi Polyclinic, prompting relatives to demand a DNA test to confirm the baby’s true identity even after the child was recovered.
The infant reportedly went missing shortly after the mother delivered via caesarean section on Tuesday, February 17, 2026. Confusion and panic broke out at the health facility when staff realised the baby had been removed from the ward under suspicious circumstances.

Speaking after the child was retrieved, Frank Banks Misbau, the baby’s uncle, said the family is not prepared to rely on assurances alone. According to him, only a DNA test can put their fears to rest.
“We need to be certain this is our baby,” he said, explaining that future legal or travel issues could arise if the child’s identity is not scientifically confirmed now. “We cannot take chances with something this serious.”
Investigators say CCTV footage from the facility shows a woman allegedly posing as a nurse and leaving the premises with the baby concealed in what appeared to be a sack. Police later tracked and arrested the suspect, who is expected to be arraigned before court on Thursday, February 19.
While the successful recovery of the infant has brought some comfort, family members insist the emotional toll of the incident remains heavy. They say a DNA test is necessary to erase doubt, restore confidence, and allow the mother to heal without fear.
Authorities have confirmed that investigations are ongoing, as medical professionals and law enforcement work to tighten security protocols and guide the family through the required medical and legal procedures.
Source: Africa Publicity








